How do I change the booting order of services?

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Tue May 29 13:49:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 03:09:15PM +0200, Anders Häggström wrote:
> > > The normal way is to edit /etc/initrc and change the name/number
> > > of the scripts in /etc/rcX.d/
> > Define "normal" :)   The way it's always been in Ubuntu (and Debian
> > for as long as I can remember, and unless I'm much mistaken, also
> > RedHat, Solaris, and HP-UX) is to have /etc/inittab that instructs
> > init to do certain things.  Among them, it calls upon /etc/init.d/rc
> > to go through the relevant /etc/rc?.d directory and start/stop
> > services.
> What you just described is what I call "the normal way". You say more
> or less just the same as I did, exept that I said /etc/initrc instead
> of /etc/inittab by mistake.

Yes, except that I don't claim that we don't do it that way anymore.

> > In Ubuntu, we now use upstart instead of sysvinit by default. We
> > still use the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d to determine the order in which
> > we start things. The things that used to be done by init itself,
> > e.g. setting up the virtual terminals and such, is now done by
> > upstart at the start of runlevel 2.
> Yes, and again. Upstart is not fully implemented and therefor causes
> more confusion then benefits.

I'm clearly a very unintelligent individual. Please outline exactly what
it is that makes it confusing that everything is the way it used to be.
I fail to see it.

> > > but I have no initrc-file and I've read something about upstart
> > > not using the normal way to start up the system. Is that correct?
> > Upstart provides a more intelligent way of
> > starting/stopping/respawning things than sysvinit, but we currently
> > use very little of that functionality.
> Yes, exactly. We don't use the benefits of Upstart. Just change use it
> the same way init is used and therefor it doesn't add much of the
> fancy functions you speak about.

Look, we have to things. Let's call them foo and bar. foo does what bar
does more. bar does nothing that foe doesn't do. In other words, the
feature set of bar is a true subset of the feature set of foo. Now,
explain why it's a good idea to stick with bar. The keyword here is
"subset".

> This had been a non-situation if Upstart was held back in the
> development area till it was more or less fully implemented, and by a
> new release change init, cron and maby other daemons with Upstart all
> at once,

Yes, that sounds much less error-prone?

> or just keep init as default untill Upstart better handle the
> situation.

"the situation"?

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |