Loginprompt shows up before booting is finished in Ubuntu Feisty server

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Tue May 29 06:41:22 UTC 2007

Anders Häggström wrote:

> Upstart is a great idea when it comes to desktop use, and to spawn
> services as they are needed when special hardware is attached and
> detached. But that, really, is not the case in a server enviroment, is
> it?

Upstart isn't about boot time and it is just perfect for servers.
Upstart does 'monitoring' of services and starts them if they fail.
Order of started services is not important if you set up events right.
There is more logic in 'start mail server after networking', then it is
in 'start networking as 10th service, and mail server as 21st'.

> I don't get the thing about "event driven", because Upstart still use
> the /etc/rc?.d/ directorys and runlevel S and 2 during boot. And I can
> still change the way services are spawned/started just by changing the
> order of the boot-scripts in /etc/rcS.d/ and /etc/rc2.d/
> The only thing Upstart adds to this is that I don't know why it works
> or how it works, or for how long it will continue to work.

This is cause upstart still works in sysv mode. It's not fully
implemented. At the moment, booting process is (almost) exactly the same
as on RedHat or SuSE or any other sysv system.

> If I can't solve this issues (it's more than just the
> login-messed-up-thing) with Upstart, or change back to a standard
> SysV-model, I will have to swich to another server platform. I don't
> want to, I think Ubuntu is great in many ways, but you leave me no
> choise.

Cause of upstart? That would be like 'i will drop my porsche and go back
to fiat, cause i don't want to learn how to use tiptronic' :) As in
Porsche, you can choose another option in Ubuntu too. The name of the
package is - sysvinit.