Shrinking consumed diskspace

Anders Häggström hagge.ubuntu at intercorner.net
Tue May 29 00:21:59 UTC 2007

2007/5/15, Ingo Lantschner <ingo.lists at vum.at>:
> Am 14.05.2007 um 14:45 schrieb Anders Häggström:
>
> > Hi, I'm aslo intrested in shrinking the minimal installation of Ubuntu
> > server, especially Fiest Fawn, down to <512M.
> >
> > I've found out that you can clean/delete the instalationfiles after
> > the installation.
> > # apt-get clean
> > # apt-get autoclean
> >
> Ok, and removing vim and installing a smaller one can save an other
> 11MB:
> # apt-get remove vim
> # apt-get remove vim-runtime
> # apt-get install vim-tiny
>

> --
> Ingo Lantschner
> Vienna/Austria
> Mob (+43-664) 143 84 18

I have now shrinked the serverinstallation of Feisty down to aprox
350MB. My keywords so far is to swich to a server-kernel, to be able
to remove Xorg-dependencies, and removing documentation.
I don't really get it why the server-kernel is not derault on a
serverinstallation from the server-cd.

I will attach a list of all installed packages (it's to long to
include in the mailbody).
I am still very intrested in shrinking the installation further, and
if someone have any idea of unnecesary packages in my installation (on
the attached list) I would be glad to know.

I also found out that you should not use apt-get, as it does not keep
track of dependencies. Use Atitude instead.
And use "purge" instead of "remove" when uninstalling packages.
Otherwise there will be a lot of garbage left in the directories.

// Anders