Loginprompt shows up before booting is finished in Ubuntu Feisty server

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Mon Jun 4 22:42:22 UTC 2007

My original reply seems to have gotten mangled, so:

Ante Karamatić wrote:
> IMO, this is a cosmetic bug and should upset you so much. Hit ENTER and
> you'll get login prompt.

I am not upset at all about this; please note that I am not the original
poster on this topic.

> Real question is why should we wait all services to start, while they
> aren't important for login? I.e, there are some services which are
> 'starting' couple of minutes. Having login prompt ASAP is, IMHO, a good
> thing.

Yes, but the login prompt is close to useless when processes are still
spewing output as you try to login, or if you can't tell that the login
prompt is up since it's already scrolled off the screen.

The solutions (IMO) to this are: have service output on only one tty
(e.g. tty1), and have the login prompt on that tty delayed until all
services are started.  Meanwhile, have login prompts on the other ttys
(tty1-tty6) ASAP, and do not print service output to them if they are
the active tty.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"