Loginprompt shows up before booting is finished in Ubuntu Feisty server

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Sun Jun 3 07:40:42 UTC 2007

Alex L. Mauer wrote:

> Before this thread got all sidetracked, it did have a point:  regardless
> of whether upstart is event based, the login prompt on the console (the
> tty that is /dev/console, not just any text screen: the other 5 virtual
> ttys should be fine) should not come up until everything else is done on
> the console.  Alternatively, the console should be moved elsewhere so as
> not to interfere with the login prompt.

IMO, this is a cosmetic bug and should upset you so much. Hit ENTER and
you'll get login prompt.

Real question is why should we wait all services to start, while they
aren't important for login? I.e, there are some services which are
'starting' couple of minutes. Having login prompt ASAP is, IMHO, a good
thing.