Loginprompt shows up before booting is finished in Ubuntu Feisty server

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Sun Jun 3 01:31:30 UTC 2007

Alex L. Mauer wrote:
> David Kempe wrote:
>> Anders Häggström wrote:
>>> Anyone know why this happens?
>> upstart is event driven, so things happen after other things. The login
>> prompt comes up, but is overwritten by other things happening in the
>> background. This will be different for different hardware etc, as the
>> event driven init works that way.
>>
>> the upside in decreased boot time, the downside is that things may
>> happen in strange orders sometimes...
>
> Hmm
>
> Before this thread got all sidetracked, it did have a point:  regardless
> of whether upstart is event based, the login prompt on the console (the
> tty that is /dev/console, not just any text screen: the other 5 virtual
> ttys should be fine) should not come up until everything else is done on
> the console.  Alternatively, the console should be moved elsewhere so as
> not to interfere with the login prompt.

I guess I don't see the problem. The console is subject to receiving messages
anytime the kernel wants to put them there. And it often does. How is this so
different?

Michael