Deploying server architectures (was: About server packages)

Ante Karamatic' ivoks at grad.hr
Fri Jul 27 08:07:56 UTC 2007

carlopmart wrote:

>   - Ubuntu server doesn't have graphical libraries to deploy a
> management console

This isn't true. It does, but are supported for 3 years, not 5.

>   - Ubuntu server doesn't have development packages: compilers,
> libraries, etc that I need to install snort.

It does.
http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/germinate-output/dapper/server
Supported for 5 years.

>   With Ubuntu server I can only setup LAMP or mail servers with a 5
> years support. With Rhel I can setup a lot of more server architectures
> with 7 years support ...

Again, this is not true. Ubuntu is much more flexible than RHEL (has
bigger number of applications). True, not all of them are supported for
5 years, but Ubuntu is still a young distribution.

Ubuntu-server != ubuntu-server install CD

>   Do you think really that ubuntu server is it ready for enterprise
> market?? My personal opinion is: no, but I would like to listen opinions
> from Ubuntu/Canonical developers or managers and yours also.

I think it is and I use it in enterprise env - in envs where RedHat
provided worse results than Debian and Ubuntu with packages provided
from ISV for RedHat (with paid support from vendor).

Again, lots of contradiction in your posts. I understand that you are
not happy with the fact that some apps you need aren't supported for 5
years (just for information, this doesn't mean they are unsupported),
but then you talk about compiling some programs - this means no support
but your self - how much is this different from ubuntu packages that
don't have 5 year support?

We were discussing about making possible to get information about only 5
year supported packages and you have a point when you say you can't tell
for sure which packages are supported 5 years. Hopefully, this would get
solved for next LTS.