Deploying server architectures (was: About ubuntu server packages)

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 07:33:32 UTC 2007

Hi all,

  I will try to explain my point of view about LTS Ubuntu releases,
particularly server release.

  In previous posts I talk about system-config-cluster, but this is only
an example.

  Another example that I believe that it is more clear: suppose that you
need to deploy 5 IDS/IPS (snort) sensors on your corporate network with
a centralized management. Of course, it is a production network. To
accomplish this you would like to do it with a robust and well supported
linux distro. IMHO only 4 distros can do it: Rhel, SuSE, Ubuntu and Debian.

  Cons about using Debian (remember I am always talking about corporate
environments that needs full support, 24x7 with a SLA of 99,9%): it
isn't valid because doesn't have "official" support and there is no
company behind.

  Right, I have got only three options now: Rhel, SuSE and Ubuntu.
personally I discard SuSE for a lot of reasons: upgrading procedures,
installation is like a windows server (I can't do a minimal
installation), etc.

Ok, I can only choose between these two options: Rhel and Ubuntu.
But Ubuntu is automatically discarded. Why? because ...

  - Ubuntu server doesn't have a recent snort package (2.6.x). Snort 2.3
it is very very old and vulnerable. And yes, I know: rhel doesn't have
snort package.

  - Ubuntu server doesn't have graphical libraries to deploy a
management console

  - Ubuntu server doesn't have development packages: compilers,
libraries, etc that I need to install snort.

  And exists a lot of commercial software that needs these type of
packages: Oracle, Informix, Anti-SPAM products, application servers,
etc. And Rhel have all these packages.

  With Ubuntu server I can only setup LAMP or mail servers with a 5
years support. With Rhel I can setup a lot of more server architectures
with 7 years support ...

  Do you think really that ubuntu server is it ready for enterprise
market?? My personal opinion is: no, but I would like to listen opinions
from Ubuntu/Canonical developers or managers and yours also.

  Many thanks to all and sorry for my bad english.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com