Support for E-mail Authorization/Anti-Forgery technologies in Ubuntu Server

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Dec 19 01:53:53 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 19:21, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 01:27:27PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > For DKIM, the dkim-filter (dkim-milter) package works well in my
> > experience.  It is available for Gutsy in the regular release and in
> > backports for Dapper, Feisty, and Gutsy.  For Dapper, use of the
> > Postfix in backports is required.  For Feisty, the released Postfix
> > will work, but using the later version in backports is strongly
> > recommended if you are going to run a milter.
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dkim-milter
> >
> > All of this is either in Universe or in Backports, so none of it is
> > officially supported by Canonical.
>
> Thank you - I've followed DKIM over the years and been curious about
> this.  Excellent!
>
> Mailing list support was always a big issue with DKIM, since changing
> the Subject or some other headers or adding a footer can invalidate
> the signatures.  Any idea how that stands now with mailman etc?

Not with great precision.  The simple version is don't add to the body and
don't change the subject line or the signature is guaranteed to break.  I
haven't done any testing to see what works.

The DKIM standard answer is resign the message with the list domain's
signature.  Personally, I think that problems like this will be solved
through integration of SPF and DKIM and some TBD domain reputation system.

Scott K

P.S.  I'm assuming you meant this to go to the list.  Apologies in advance if
I guessed wrong.