gutsy alpha4 drupal5 install

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Tue Aug 14 14:59:21 UTC 2007

The package installs fairly easily with a major gotcha and a few minor issues.

Major gotcha.

1) the default drupal install depends on mysql-server running on localhost.

Minor issues.

1) the user must visit http://server_ip/drupal5/install.php to
complete the database initialization
2) the user must visit http://server_ip/drupal5 to complete drupal installation
3) file layout is fine for a "root" install of drupal but less so for
a user install
4) postfix gets installed by default. some sendmail capability is
required by drupal and the postfix install works fine but postfix is a
career in itself and a lighter "sendmail" capability such as esmtp
might be better. then there are those who would prefer a different
mta.
5) apache2-mpm-itk is installed and loaded. that strikes me as adventurous.

General issues.

1) should we suggest installation of openssh-server and working from a
workstation

Jim Tarvid