Media Server, LVM2, RAID

VistA Office perspectiveoffice at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 00:48:08 UTC 2007

Does EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management Service) do
much in helping with these drives?

--- Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

> Damon Andrew Keller <damon.keller at us.army.mil>
> writes:
> >> Yeah, Linux software RAID or LVM will do it.
> >>
> >> I would suggest using LVM: create a "logical
> volume" that contains all
> >> the individual drives, then use that to store
> your data.
> >>
> >> (Though, personally, I would use RAID so that a
> single disk failure
> >>  didn't destroy /all/ the data on all eight
> drives.)
> >
> > That's a good point to.  I'm looking to get
> ordering two 500gb drives
> > configured in a MIRROR form.  I don't need speed.
> By the time I'm
> > done, I should have 5 MIRRORed RAIDs installed.
> >
> > Ah, tell me this, am I able to use RAID MORRORed
> with LVM?  I've never
> > used RAID so please don't beat me up on this one.
> :)
>
> Yes.  You can make any block device a "physical
> volume" for LVM,
> so you can use a software RAID device happily.
>
> Also of note: LVM2 supports a "mirror" target which
> you may find
> interesting if you want to use only one tool to
> manage your disk
> configuration.
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel
> --
> Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT
> simple, stable and secure
> Phone: 0401 155 707        email:
> contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
>
> http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/

VistA Office is the Public Domain electronic medical record system created by the VA and adapted by the open source community. It is the best EMR / EHR available today.
See /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Health_Information_Systems_and_Technology_Architecture