Universe/Multiverse enabled by default in ubuntu-server

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Aug 9 18:10:54 UTC 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007 13:53, Neal McBurnett wrote:

> I.e. there are people other than the "Ubuntu security team" that can
> and may well release security updates for universe and multiverse.
> More details on how and when that may happen would be good, and we
> might not lose some folks who would otherwise avoid Ubuntu.
> I remember a time when that statement gave me significant pause.

While Universe is not supported by the Ubuntu security team, they will upload
security fixes to *-security when someone else prepares the fixes.  We've had
3 clamav security updates in feisty-security since Feisty was released and
today are working with keescook on getting lighttpd fixes out the door.

Particularly in the server area where there tend to be knowledgeable admins
around we can all work togther to help ourselves.  If server people who don't
know a lot about packaging have patches, MOTU can help either in #ubuntu-motu
or #ubuntu-server on IRC.

I think the Universe packages that get a lot of use are generally reasonably
well maintained.

Scott K