Media Server

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 8 16:14:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 02:27:36PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Damon Andrew Keller <damon.keller at us.army.mil> writes:
> > I've finished getting the hardware bugs out of my 8 hard drive Media
> > Server and I would like to know is there any software out there that
> > would merge most of my drives into one device?  Not like a RAID just
> > take simple drives to make one.
>
> Yeah, Linux software RAID or LVM will do it.

I'd also recommend LVM. There a couple of ressources about setting up an
LVM configuration on Ubuntu:

 * FileServerOnLVMOnRAID1:
   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileServerOnLVMOnRAID1

Don't hesitate to update the wiki guide if it's not relevant anymore.

Software RAID can also be setup in a linear mode to merge all your disks
together.

> I would suggest using LVM: create a "logical volume" that contains all
> the individual drives, then use that to store your data.

To be precise, you'd create a "volume group" that contains all your
drives ("physical extends") and then create logical volumes in your
volume group.

All this is explained in the LVM HOW-TO at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html.

Cheers,

--
Mathias