Media Server

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 8 04:27:36 UTC 2007

Damon Andrew Keller <damon.keller at us.army.mil> writes:

> I've finished getting the hardware bugs out of my 8 hard drive Media
> Server and I would like to know is there any software out there that
> would merge most of my drives into one device?  Not like a RAID just
> take simple drives to make one.

Yeah, Linux software RAID or LVM will do it.

I would suggest using LVM: create a "logical volume" that contains all
the individual drives, then use that to store your data.

(Though, personally, I would use RAID so that a single disk failure
 didn't destroy /all/ the data on all eight drives.)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/