Beowulf Networks

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Mon Sep 11 15:13:00 UTC 2006

On Saturday 09 September 2006 11:42, Damon A. Keller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or not but
> I would like to setup a Beowulf Network when I get back to the states.
> I have enough spear systems just sitting around and I would like to see
> what I could do with them running Xubuntu Server.  XFCE is small and
> lite and I love the Ubuntu lineup.

You can try FAI http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/.  It's available
in universe. I've updated FAI pkgs merged from sid with a handful of fixes for
softupdate: http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~ach/kubuntu/dapper-experimental/

I use them to deploy our desktops here.  I plan to switch our 2 Beowulf-like
clusters from D-I preseeding to FAI setup.

> I need to know at least the basics what how to get the 2 or more system
> working together to where they look like one system.  Or am I asking too
> much for a beginer?

Install fai-doc.  There's a section describing the installation of
a Beowolf cluster, step by step.

Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com