LAMP Production Server - Dell 2850

Bill Asher bill.asher at enaws.com
Sat Sep 9 20:48:45 UTC 2006

David,
In your recommendation, would there be any need for LVM then?  I'm doing a Ubuntu LAMP install, after install how would you handle all the smylinks you are talking about?  I agree with your thoughts but am unsure how this effects your other partitions needed.

This is what I have now using LVM for the RAID5 drives:
$ df -h
/dev/sda1              62G  227M   59G   1% /
varrun               1014M   48K 1014M   1% /var/run
varlock              1014M  4.0K 1014M   1% /var/lock
udev                 1014M   96K 1014M   1% /dev
devshm               1014M     0 1014M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/data-home
                       34G  129M   32G   1% /home
/dev/mapper/data-usr   31G  364M   29G   2% /usr
/dev/mapper/data-var  138G  227M  131G   1% /var

The application we are producing is internal only via web browser.  Using Apache2, PHP5 and MySQL5.  My thoughts were to build 2 servers with Apache2 & any web services and 2 servers with MySQL for database services. One of each being production and development servers. This app will be used for about 300 users.  In your opinions is this over kill?  Or just do 4 servers each having Apache2 and MySQL on them, 2 production and 2 development?

Thanks,
Bill