LAMP Production Server - Dell 2850

Alejandro Sanchez Marín asmarin at us.es
Fri Sep 8 14:51:39 UTC 2006

Hi Bill, i have a similar configuration and best practice is:

Logical drive 0: Put here / and swap partition if you need it.

Logical drive 1: Use LVM to split RAID5 hardware into 3 partitions and
put here /var, /usr and /home partitions. About partition distribution....

/home = 300 users * quota space for each one
/var= 70% of raid5 - /home
/usr= 30% of raid5 - /home

Using LVM on your RAID5 you will say something like that (example from
linux RAID howto, dont see values like optimal for you....):

# df -h
/dev/md0              942M  419M  475M  47% /
/dev/vg0/backup        40G  1.3M   39G   1% /backup
/dev/vg0/amdata       496M  237M  233M  51% /var/lib/amanda
/dev/vg0/mirror        62G   56G  2.9G  96% /mnt/mirror
/dev/vg0/webroot       97M  6.5M   85M   8% /var/www
/dev/vg0/local        2.0G  458M  1.4G  24% /usr/local
/dev/vg0/netswap      3.0G  2.1G 1019M  67% /mnt/netswap

With this, you have a good production server to run.

Well, try it if you want and good luck. :-D