LAMP Production Server - Dell 2850

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Thu Sep 7 22:17:18 UTC 2006

Works well for me too but...

If you are going to serve more than one domain, VHCS2 will be an asset
(it has been an asset to me). If you are going to use VHCS2, end the
Ubuntu install after the base and study the howtos on VHCS2. You will
want to add ssh server early and get off of the server. Install what
you need and resist the other 50,000 packages. Less is more.

I followed the notes at
http://wael.nasreddine.com/Articles/Articles/Install_VHCS_on_Ubuntu_%10_Debian.html
initially. Setting up virtual web, email and ftp can be a bit of a trick.

Several packages in the Debian/Ubuntu distributions will break their
use with VHCS2. Some will get into a pissing contest between PHP4/PHP5
and MySQL4/5/7.5. Some are old. Some are broken. Most irritating is
Drupal.  Most of the larger PHP based packages will install from the
developers in user space. It's a lot easier to cleanup user space than
system.

Get two boxes. Play in the sandbox. Backup often. Don't bang your head
against the wall for more than an hour, get help.

Even with these and other reservations, Ubuntu has been a real delight
and nothing on the horizon even tempts me.

Jim Tarvid