Protecting against disk failure with LVM Raid

Nils elitepenguin at gmx.net
Tue Oct 3 07:40:30 UTC 2006

Hi all

Ubuntu supports LVM RAID with the installer. I would like to setup a
RAID 1 with 2 (S)ATA disks, so that if one disk fails, the system is
still fully operational. However I don't have experience with LVM
RAID, so here are a few questions:

- How does it work with grub? Can i have /boot also on RAID, or do I
have to create a seperate parition for it?

- If I setup the software RAID, how can I test if it will work if a
disk fails. Just pull the plug on the drive will not work I think (or
depends if the controller supports hot swapping?)

- How do I get noticed when one of the drives fails?

- If a disk fails I normally get some very strange kernel errors and
the box freezes.  Is it possible that the box also freezees if I use
RAID?

thx in advance

Nils