Ubuntu a poor choice for servers

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Jul 10 13:29:46 UTC 2006

"Waleed Harbi" <waleed.harbi at gmail.com> writes:

> *David Abrahams,
> Is Ubuntu a poor choice for servers? :-)

It could be.  Here's what I did:

* partition each of my 500GB SATA drives (sda,sdb) as follows:

    - one 100MB primary partition
    - ten 50GB logical partitions (I have my reasons)

* Create md raid 1 devices containing pairs of corresponding
  partitions from sda,sdb.

* Set the 100MB RAID device to ext3, mount on /boot

* Set the ten 50GB RAID devices to LVM

* Choose "Configure Logical Volume Manager."  The thing tells me it
  needs to write the current partitioning scheme to disk....

      The partition tables of the following devices are changed:

        RAID1 device #1
        RAID1 device #10
        RAID1 device #2
        RAID1 device #3
        RAID1 device #4
        RAID1 device #5
        RAID1 device #6
        RAID1 device #7
        RAID1 device #8
        RAID1 device #9

      The following partitions are going to be formatted:

        Partition #1 of RAID1 device #0 as ext3

      Write the changes to disk and configure LVM?

* OK

      [!!] Partition disks

      Error invorming the kernel about modifications to partitino
      /dev/md/1p1 -- Invalid argument.  This means Linux won't know
      about any changes you made to /dev/md/1p1 until you reboot -- so
      you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.

      ERROR!!!

> *I try to answer to your Q's but David Kempe answered to your Q's with best
> examples.
>
> Have a nice times.

Unfortunately, not yet.  Did I do something wrong?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting