Ubuntu a poor choice for servers

Ivan Krstic krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 10 06:42:54 UTC 2006

David Abrahams wrote:
> Dapper (and Breezy for that matter) installation doesn't support LVM
> well; it's almost as though it was untested.  Try to set up a system
> with LVM from any of the different installation discs, and you'll see
> what I mean.

I've done so many times with the various Flights, and never had trouble.
 I haven't tried the final CD, but would be surprised if such a severe
regression was present.

> Dapper installation doesn't support LVM over software raid *at all*,
> even though it purports to.

Likewise with this.

> Dapper installation supports LVM over FakeRaid *even less*.

It's not supposed to. Edgy should have dm-fakeraid and dm-crypt support
in the installer, if all goes well.

I have some servers to install tomorrow night, so I'll test this again.
In the (surprising and reasonably unlikely) event that RAID and LVM
support is actually broken in d-i, we'll certainly try to provide fixes
in the next point release.

--
Ivan Krstic <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D