Greetings, and question about Ubuntu on a cluster

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Tue Jul 4 21:48:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 22:22 +0100, Joao Inacio wrote:
> On 7/4/06, Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From my extremely poor knowlege of clusters, i think you should be
> more specific as to how it will be used.
>
> the way i see it, there are many possible uses for a cluster (SSI, HA,
> HPC) and that means different software/technologies.

Right. We've got the hardware and are considering what to do with it.
It'll probably be an HPC cluster with individuated nodes, though an SSI
setup isn't out of the question.

I'm mostly posting just to get some suggestions or information from
anyone actually using these technologies with Ubuntu. I'm specifically
interested in hearing about the use of some of the packages such as
"cman", and to get a feel for the "best practices".

> For the machines to be manageable as a single unit, my first bet would
> probably be ssi, but if that's ruled out then AFAIK the easy way is
> booting the nodes directly from the master.
>
> AFAIK that can be done the same way as nodes boot from an LTSP server.

Hmm... interesting, but I bet edubuntu and ltsp are not tailored for
compute cluster management. Am I mistaken?

> Sorry if this wasn't of much help, but as i said i'm no cluster expert 8(

Thanks for responding. I'm just interested in hearing what people are
doing so I can formulate a proposal here.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org