Ubuntu Server - Apache 1.x

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 9 05:19:08 UTC 2006

Clint Kennedy wrote:
> Fabio,
>
> Let me first say thank you for contributing to Ubuntu!
>
> I recently spoke with Ilia Alshanetsky (primary dev of PHP) and he
> stated adamantly that for the purposes of serving up PHP, he recommends
> Apache 1.x to anyone who asks.  Truly, Apache 2.x is better for other
> uses (faster for static pages, necessary for subversion, etc.), but for
> the specific use of PHP, Apache 1.x is simply better (faster, more
> mature SAPI interface, etc.).
>
> With the currently popularity of PHP, and the strong recommendation from
> a primary PHP developer (backed by benchmark, not just FUD), why is
> Apache 1.x not supported in Ubuntu?  A strong majority of PHP users
> still use Apache 1.x, and while compiling from source is always there,
> it would be fantastic to have a maintained package for both Apache 1.x
> and mod-php4/php5 for Apache 1.x.
>
> Is there any possible chance it could be included with the next release?

As part of the apache team maintainer and ubuntu-server I can tell you that
we don't want to support 2 version of apache in main. Our goal is to keep
only one version.

If you have specific needs you can always install apache1.x from universe,
but be aware that is not supported (security wise).

Fabio