Roadmap for UbuntuServer

Mario Đanić mario.danic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:03:45 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Jim Tarvid <tarvid at ls.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 15:29 +0000, Joao Inacio wrote:
> > On 2/22/06, Jim Tarvid <tarvid at ls.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Therefore, the argument that a knowledgeable, experienced
> administrator
> > > should handle routine actions does not sell well here.
> > >
> > > Webmin, virtualmin and usermin do not meet the level of utility and
> > > usability needed to hand these actions off to staff and customers
> > >
> > > VHCS is close. It lives with debian/ubuntu packages for the most part.
> > > Wael's script works well on a fresh Ubuntu install. ISPConfig  seems
> > > want recompile everything. Ebox looks good, just haven't tried it.
> >
> > First of all, i think these are two distinct things:
> > installing and configuring the server software, and managing the
> > domain services.
> >
> > webmin, for the most part, is meant for the first case, though with
> > usermin you can let domain owners manage some of their own things.
> >
> > > I still have not found a chrooted shell that gives users what they
> need
> > > while maintaining security. Sophisticated users may hate you, but
> > > virtual users can do what they need to do with PROFTPD. I have come to
> > > the point where I do not want user shell accounts on shared servers.
> >
> > this might be true, but imho i think it's a whole different matter.
> >
> > > I love Ubuntu. On the workstation, it reduces my support burden
> > > enormously. There is some transferability to server environments and
> > > half my servers have migrated. I have no doubt that the community will
> > > address these issues but discussion here is met either with smug
> > > arrogance or benign confusion.
> > >
> > > It is time to abandon the two class view (guru/newbie).
> >
> > Actually, i don't see where you are getting at.
> >
> > beeing a guru, newbie or anywhere in between doesn't change the fact
> > that besides a clean base system, we need easier and automated ways of
> > both installing common servers (LAMP) and managing our server.
> >
> > IMHO letting 3rd-party users manage their domains is a different story
> > and should be handled by different software.
> > it may be true that the software that currently exists is trying to
> > dictate wich apps we use in our servers, but it should be the other
> > way arround.
> >
> > of course, i may be completely off but this is my sincere POV.
> >
> > --
> > João Inácio
> > jcinacio at gmail.com
> >
> What I am getting at, is that a large number of end users are neither
> gurus nor newbies.

Correct, most people are Joe Average...

My staff and my users, are far more numerous that my gurus (2 gurus, 6
> staff, 150 web hosting users. The more the 6 and 150 can do on their
> own, the less burden on the 2 gurus.

Ofcourse.

The distro that addresses that
> issue gains virtue.

All my VHCS installs are on a bare Ubuntu server install. I take their
> choice of webserver, MTA, MUA, DB, etc. I'd like more choice in spam
> suppression and some post install mucking about is required to get spam
> filtering going.

Instant-server was to adress all or at least most needs of configuration
(basic, and advanced (advanced was done by hand using scripts that we
provide), installation...

Even my single domain users are happier with VHCS than a conventional
> multi-user environment if only in email management.
>
> Most of the 150 are low traffic/low budget users and won't justify
> machine virtualization. Efficiency and cost-effectiveness are major
> concerns.
>
> Perhaps third party scripts are adequate. I am using Easy Ubuntu on
> workstations and Wael's script on servers. The answers are forthcoming
> from the community.
>
> This process is suggestive of canonization. Christians did wind up with
> 4 Gospels, there could have been more, perhaps 4 are too many. We
> Americans would do well to add readings from the Koran to our services.
> Options in Ubuntu make us richer, we are all struggling for the
> practices which make our community better.
>
> Jim Tarvid

Best regards,
Mario Danic