Updating a server using cron

Lionel Porcheron lionel at alveonet.org
Tue Dec 5 22:16:25 UTC 2006

Hi Ingo,
> Hi all,
> I just wanted to write a small script to update a server automatically
> using cron. I found a script apt in /etc/cron.daily. Can someone please
> explain shortly, what this script is for?

This script is coming from apt package and is checking every day if
updates are available.

If you want to get automatic updates, there is a tool designed for that
(no need to script by yourself) : cron-apt (which is in Universe). By
default, it only downloads and does not install. Be carefull, automatic
updates on server can be dangerous !

Cheers,

Lionel