[Blueprint servercloud-p-php54] PHP 5.4 for Ubuntu 12.04
ondrej at sury.org
Thu Mar 8 08:45:42 UTC 2012
Blueprint changed by Ondřej Surý:
Status: After some discussions with our release team and security team,
there is a strong desire to ship 5.4.0 rather than 5.3.10. I am in
- agreement with this, and will make a push to setup a 5.4.0 PPA this week
- and rally some testers. Here is a list of bugs already found in Debian
- as part of their 5.4 transition: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
- bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=php5. First big blocker is that
- suhosin is still not available for php 5.4 ..will try to find out where
- development is on that next.
+ agreement with this, and I will rally some testers. Here is a list of
+ bugs already found in Debian as part of their 5.4 transition:
+ maint at lists.alioth.debian.org. First big blocker is that suhosin is
+ still not available for php 5.4 ..will try to find out where development
+ is on that next.
+ There is a PPA with up-to-date version of PHP 5.4.0 for lucid - oneiric:
+ https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/php5 and people are already using
+ it. (I already had some user base).
[ubuntu-server] In january, assess situation based on Debian status and decide 5.4 or 5.3 then: DONE
[clint-fewbar] maintain a merged 5.4 in a PPA ( ppa:clint-fewbar/php5 ) : DONE
[clint-fewbar] setup rebuilds for extensions that build-dep on php5-dev: INPROGRESS
- [clint-fewbar] setup backport for lucid to allow wider PHP 5.4 testing before the upgrade: POSTPONED
+ [ondrej] setup backport for lucid to allow wider PHP 5.4 testing before the upgrade: DONE
Does this require discussion or just rubber stamping? -- Daviey
It is not entirely clear whether 5.4.0 will be sufficiently similar to 5.3.x to include in this release. The more conservative approach is just to ship 5.3.9 or 5.3.10 and leave 5.4.0 for 12.10, but the PHP community is interested in weighing in on the issue and I'd also like to hear the security team's take on the matter.
* provide packages for both precise and lucid in the ppa (or lucid-backports) so people can test before upgrade
* provide rebuilt extensions against the new ABI
With both PHP 5.4.0 final and Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 released today, is it correct to assume that the chances of PHP 5.4 being shipped with Ubuntu 12.04 are basically non existant? -Clemens
PHP 5.4 for Ubuntu 12.04
More information about the Ubuntu-server-bugs