[Bug 541524] Re: BIOS shipped as binary blobs without source
dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 22:19:16 GMT 2010
cjwatson> any binary blobs, yes
(need to be pruned or source provided).
* bios.bin we can get from seabios (although there are known bugs with the version of seabios present in Lucid, but not in the upstream version of bios.bin)
* vgabios we can get from vgabios (although there are known bugs with the version of seabios present in Lucid, but not in the upstream version of vgabios)
* PXE roms we should get from kvm-pxe
* OpenBIOS comes from openbios.org, which is GPLv2, but not packaged for Ubuntu, see Bug #183495
* video.x comes from maconlinux.org, which is GPLv2, but not packaged for Ubuntu
So ideally, we need to:
a) depend on seabios
b) depend on vgabios
c) package openbios, and depend on openbios
d) package mol, and depend on mol
Packaging openbios and mol may not be reasonable for Lucid.
We have been discouraged by upstream QEMU to build/run different
versions of any of these ROMs from what's shipped in the upstream
tarball, as those versions are the ones that are known to work well.
BIOS shipped as binary blobs without source
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Server Team, which is subscribed to qemu-kvm in ubuntu.
More information about the Ubuntu-server-bugs