Site logon

Matthew Rossi matthew.penguincentral at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 07:27:15 BST 2007

On 10/12/07, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick update about something that has been in the back of my mind
> for a while.
>
> You may have noticed that the screencasts site has no logon or
> registration page (well, it does if you know the URL ;) ). This means
> that people who leave comments are always "Anonymous".
>
> I have left the logon screen off because I didn't want people to have to
> register and logon with yet another username and password. In the long
> term I hoped that we could use people launchpad ID for authentication so
> people could use an account they already have.

That's a good idea...

Unfortunately this feature (external site authentication) isn't complete
> yet, but is scheduled to be developed in launchpad later in the year.
> There is a bug in launchpad that you can follow if you're interested:-
>
> Launchpad bug 1169 in launchpad "Launchpad should support
> OpenID" [Medium,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1169
>
> As I understand it some internal sites such as the wiki will be tightly
> integrated so people can logon directly with their launchpad username
> and password. "External" sites would use the OpenID interface.
>
> Technically we are an "external" site, however we are hosted on a
> Canonical server which is under their system admins control. This works
> in our favour because we _may_ be able to swing ourselves as an
> "internal" site.
>
> If this is indeed the case then (once this development is done) we could
> apply for the change to be implemented on our site, and people would
> then be able to interact with the site a bit better. Theret are features
> that we could turn on in the site which engage users a little more than
> we currently do.
>
> Hope that's interesting for you.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Maybe we should have allow users to log in with OpenID?

I mean, for many of us we already have access to openID in one form, for
example my two wordpress.com blogs (mattr.co.nr), which includes my podcast
(http://penguincentral.co.nr) allow me to use openID, but i need to use the
actual foo.wordpress.com url, not the .co.nr domains that I use for those
site

--
Matthew Rossi

I am for Macs, and the open source scene, are you?  Read my blog at
www.mattr.co.nr.  You can also find my podcast at www.penguincentral.co.nr

Everything you can imagine is real.
Pablo Picasso
Spanish Cubist painter (1881 - 1973)