A PPA for the Unity2D fallback patch

Haggai Eran haggai.eran at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 13:39:35 UTC 2012

I think I have an idea. I'd like to use you as a test subject before I
create a package, if that's okay :)

We can override the selected desktop in an Xsession script. Why don't you
try to create a file named /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50_unity_2d_rtl_fallback (as
root), with the following contents:

# This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.
# Select the right session if we have already done
# an unity check, try to check it other

if [ "x$DESKTOP_SESSION" = "xubuntu" ] && [ -x /usr/bin/gettext ] && \
   [ "x`/usr/bin/gettext --domain=gtk30 default:LTR`" = "xdefault:RTL" ];
then
    # Using a right-to-left locale. Fallback to Unity2D.
    DESKTOP_SESSION="ubuntu-2d"
    GDMSESSION="ubuntu-2d"
    STARTUP="`echo $STARTUP | sed
's/--session=ubuntu\>/--session=ubuntu-2d/'`"
fi

This method also has an advantage over patching the unity_support_test
program, since it can be packaged independently of the nux packages.

Haggai