gettext handling of LRO and RLO

Chris Scaife scaife.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 19:07:20 GMT 2010

 I do understand that this list is intended for bug reporting.
So I've come across a few issues with the gettext tools and I assume many
here do use these for internationalization and localization.

Attached is image of part of my ar_SA.po file in which I had to place
standard Unicode LRO (or optionally RLO) overrides... just before the " of
the translation. That way I can insert what is technically considered an
Arabic "part number" containing a mixture of Arabic digits and letters. I
don't want the LRO code to be part of my part number* inside* the quotes, or
it won't be recognized and processed correctly by the software.

All is well up to the point where I try to run "msgfmt" it gives me:

> base.ar_SA.utf-8.po:49:8: syntax error

base.ar_SA.utf-8.po:52:8: syntax error

msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors

Is there any specific bug list this would be more appropriate for?