Directionality without prejudice

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 14:59:49 GMT 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Chris Scaife <scaife.chris at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for that information Yaron,  and also for your positive feedback :)
> It is indeed interesting to learn about how numbers are spoken because I
> don't think that Unicode standard is correct in this respect.

I'd love to assist with that, feel free to guide and consult me, my hobby is
linguistics and I have many connections we can use.

> I do hope to proceed with my bidirectional terminal emulator, but have
> discovered that I cannot make it work with things like ncurses library when
> directionality on my display widget is under control of such a complicated
> algorithm. Thus Gtk, Pango and Cairo display code have become a dead end :(

There is an old bug in GNOME showing reversed Hebrew in the task manager for
years now and nothing was done so far so unfortunately you are possibly
right ☺

> I am currently learning how to use the AGG library which includes excellent
> support for Windows as well as Posix compliant systems. Alas it all takes
> time especially because due to other situations I was not programming for a
> great many years.

The Heb-bugzap list is mainly in English and we will be delighted to use
English only for this discussion, Most of us are pretty fluent, Shachar has
already replied, he began reading your work and I think he liked it so far,
pay attention that Shachar has his own company and he doesn't like to be
bothered so keep your messages to him as short as possible and if you post
an article just send him the link.

> I'll try to get on your mailing list now, but I can't read any Hebrew or
> Arabic myself and depend entirely on Google translator

Let me help you when needed, My Arabic is not that good but I got some
friends from the open source community who can, just don't hesitate to ask.

> regards,
> Chris Scaife

Kind regards,
Yaron Shahrabani.