Transition entanglement: delay glibc upload?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 31 05:54:55 UTC 2024

Hi Simon,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 03:50:18AM -0800, Simon Chopin wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 02:02:15AM -0800, Simon Chopin wrote:
> > > Hi Release Team,

> > > It seems we have a few big transitions either in progress (perl,
> > > python) or about to start in the coming weeks (php, armhf 64bit time_t).
> > > My original plans for glibc would add fuel to that fire, as I projected
> > > to upload it to -proposed in about 2 weeks.

> > You use the past tense here;
> > https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/noble-numbat-release-schedule/35649 shows
> > glibc 2.39 for this week.  Did this projection change, and in which
> > direction?

> I though I'd scheduled it for next week, that's my bad. If you prefer I
> stick to the announced plan I can probably do it for Friday, though.

We discussed this in the release team today, and provided you have it ready
to go, +1 for an upload on Friday.

> > "presumably" - usually, the new symbols from one release to the next are
> > small and don't affect too many packages.  Can you give us a list of new
> > symbols in 2.39, to understand how significant this is?  Because there's a
> > tension here between wanting packages to pick up the new interfaces, and
> > wanting unrelated uploads of packages to not get stuck behind glibc in
> > -proposed if the migration takes a long time.

> I've attached the list. It is entirely composed of brand new symbols
> rather than redefinition of existing APIs. The bulk of the symbols are
> implementations of the <stdbit.h> header, which feels like the kind of
> things that configure scripts check for and conditionally enable. That
> is purely speculation on my part though.

My assessment is that these are all fairly niche APIs that won't block the
vast majority of packages in -proposed, so the only concern is autopkgtest
contention.  And for that, the sooner you get this uploaded, the better!
(Even better to upload right before a weekend!)

Thanks,
Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/