Transition entanglement: delay glibc upload?

Simon Chopin simon.chopin at canonical.com
Tue Jan 23 10:02:15 UTC 2024

Hi Release Team,

It seems we have a few big transitions either in progress (perl,
python) or about to start in the coming weeks (php, armhf 64bit time_t).
My original plans for glibc would add fuel to that fire, as I projected
to upload it to -proposed in about 2 weeks.

A possible way to reduce the friction introduced by a new glibc verison
would be to delay it until after Feature Freeze: fewer packages would
pick up the new symbols and thus wouldn't get blocked waiting for the
glibc rdeps autopkgtests to clear.

I can see a couple of downsides to that approach:

* Fewer packages would pick the new ABIs, which presumably bring in some
  sort of improvement in one form or another.
* The newer glibc would be tested for less time, although presumably
  that's somewhat offset by it taking less time to reach the release
  pocket from -proposed.

WDYT?

Cheers,
Simon