Requesting an SRU exception approval for open-vm-tools

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 17 06:44:56 UTC 2024

Hello! Sorry for the delayed response.

On Mon, Jan 8 2024 at 12:23:56 +0100, Christian Ehrhardt
<christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> after formerly (pre 2018) people often reporting issues of not having
> an LTS that could work fully well with the latest VMware we have, now
> for more than five years, done regular backports of open-vm-tools.
> But a recent misunderstanding between Steve and myself has identified
> that we missed to put this down clearly enough as a properly approved
> "special case".
>
> To be fair - In the past, AFAIK, we have not always done/needed such
> exceptions for things that go to SRU under "other safe cases" [1],
> but this case is not so much "safe" as more "a usually accepted kind
> of risk for platform enablement". And since it caused
> misunderstanding let us document this now, to avoid the same
> misunderstanding to happen again in the future.
>
> Hence I've created [2] as a wiki page documenting this case.
> I would now ask the SRU team for a review, discussion and hopefully
> eventually sign-off to acknowledge this case and add its link to the
> known special cases [3].

This broadly looks sensible, and open-vm-tools is a reasonable
(virtual)-HWE case.

I've taken the liberty of reorganising the wiki page to stick a
"Process" section up the top, and added some extra process verbiage.
Please take a look and check that what I've moved around and added
still makes sense and captures what you need.

There's an open question there, too - at what point after (or before?)
a release do we first consider a backport of the open-vm-tools package?