discontinuing source ISOs?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 4 17:30:05 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 08:28:28AM -0800, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> On 1/4/2024 8:21 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > With my flavor lead hat on, as far as I know, there's not a single
> > > official community flavor that is running their own mirror,
> > https://xubuntu.org/download/

> If you investigate those mirrors, those are *not* run by the individual
> flavor. In fact, they seem to be pointing mostly at whole mirrors of
> cdimage.ubuntu.com, and in most cases, those providers are also mirroring
> releases.ubuntu.com. So, sadly, those are not mirrors done *by* the flavor,
> which means that argument is invalid.

The very first mirror in the list is
https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/xubuntu/releases/22.04/release/, which is a
xubuntu-specific mirror and not a full mirror of cdimage.u.c.  So they are
distributing the Xubuntu ISOs without distributing the source ISOs.

They ALSO happen to be providing a full mirror of the Ubuntu archive at
https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/archive/ so in effect are meeting
the GPL source distribution requirements without the source ISOs.

The second mirror in the list,
http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/xubuntu/22.04/release/, is
similar.

So is the third, http://ubuntu.ipacct.com/xubuntu/22.04/release/.

And to the best of my knowledge, we do not maintain any official list of
cdimage.u.c mirrors in Launchpad, unlike the mirrors for releases.u.c; so
this is de facto a per-flavor mirror list regardless.

So yes, there are existing per-flavor mirrors that are distributing binary
ISOs; they are not mirroring the source ISOs; and no one is complaining.
The ones I've checked also happen to have an Ubuntu archive mirror
alongside, so are effectively meeting the GPL source distribution
requirements without the source ISOs (whether by design or accident, I
cannot say).

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/