discontinuing source ISOs?

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.ledkov at canonical.com
Thu Jan 4 16:36:54 UTC 2024

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 03:42, Michael Hudson-Doyle
<michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello release team,
>
> In the course of recent refactorings of ubuntu-cdimage / debian-cd we somehow broke the building of source ISOs. I doubt this is anything very deep and can surely be fixed but there is another option: stop building source ISOs.
>
> AFAIU the point of a source ISO is GPL-compliance: if you are hosting an ISO made out of GPL-licensed components you should really also host the source of those components. However, we put source ISOs on cdimage (e.g. https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/source/20231011.1/source/) not releases, so everyone (?) who mirrors the ubuntu ISOs for us does not mirror the source ISOs.
>
> As our mirror operators have been working this way for approximately 20 years without issue, perhaps it's time to stop making source ISOs and delete even more code from debian-cd and ubuntu-cdimage.
>
> WDYAT?

I thought these are generated as a point in time snapshot; because we
otherwise had no other point in time snapshots available. And hence we
archived these with binary isos to old-releases.ubuntu.com especially
after things are removed from launchpad and primary mirrors. And then
old-releases.ubuntu.com actually has co-located binaries and sources,
with matching things.

Given we now have https://snapshot.ubuntu.com/ service, will that
continue to be running for releases that transition to EOL? and or
migrate to old-releases? Because, imho https://snapshot.ubuntu.com is
a much better interface to access matching binaries and sources, at
any point in time, for any release today, and in the past and in the
future.

--
Dimitri

Sent from Ubuntu Pro