VirtualBox Postmortem: Second Large User-Facing Regression in the last 30 days

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 2 04:31:41 UTC 2024

It's been a couple of weeks since this message was sent.  It was discussed
in the Technical Board meeting Tuesday that it should be the SRU Team that
responds.

In an SRU Team meeting today, it was agreed that some measure of response is
in order.

The SRU Team does not intend to make a point-by-point response to this
email.  This email presents itself as containing a complete finding of fact,
draws conclusions, and demands remedies without ever consulting one of the
major parties involved (the SRU team) for input and is therefore does not
present a sound basis for a collaborative retrospective exercise.

Nevertheless, we agree that a review of this incident is required, as this
was a significant regression in the updates pocket that should not have been
allowed to happen.

The SRU Team will be taking the following actions:

- Conducting an internal retrospective regarding the fact that a kernel
  update was released that regressed buildability of a dkms package, which
  the existing kernel tests are intended to guard against.  The results of
  this retrospective will be posted to the ubuntu-release and
  technical-board mailing lists.

- Following through on the request for an SRU exception for virtualbox.
  Chris Halse Rogers will be leading this effort on behalf of the SRU Team.