Dependency additions to OpenStack SRU exception

Corey Bryant corey.bryant at canonical.com
Fri Sep 1 14:51:24 UTC 2023

Hi Robie,

Thanks for taking a look.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 9:34 AM Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a list of 46 packages this is rather large and non-trivial to review.
> Presumably we'll want to group them by upstream (are all managed by the
> OpenStack umbrella upstream, or are there exceptions?) and then take a
> view on them as a whole.

All of the packages in this list fall under the OpenStack umbrella
upstream. The source can be found at: https://opendev.org/explore/repos
All of these packages were specifically chosen because they are
dependencies of the existing packages in our SRU exception list.

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 11:44:04AM -0400, Corey Bryant wrote:
> > python-ovsdbapp
>
> This one was in the queue and so I reviewed it independently as
> requested as a one-off microrelease update SRU. I ended up rejecting it
> as there was what looked like a behavioural change with no explanation
> as to why it is required, and most other upstream bugfixes did not come
> with tests. Details at:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/charm-neutron-api/+bug/2007919/comments/19
>
> I'm noting this in this thread for the record in case this has any
> bearing on the larger view.

For the behavioral change [1], I think there is minimal regression
potential as the change is limited to an exception path where sleeps and
reconnects were determined to be unnecessary. I'd have appreciated it if
they would have provided a bug reference for the commit to provide more
context, however with that said, it seems they are making a code
improvement here for performance reasons and they found it to be useful
enough to backport to stable branches.
[1]
https://opendev.org/openstack/ovsdbapp/commit/ab3e0cb0d0865417efbf103f44954573a5ba92ac

It is certainly not ideal to have missing unit tests. It's important to
consider that we perform testing above and beyond the unit tests that are
run as part of our package builds. The regression testing that we have in
place for OpenStack is run for all stable releases. For that we deploy a
full OpenStack cloud and then run tempest integration tests that exercise
all of the packages and the cloud solution as a whole.

I think we have a solid history of limiting regression potential for
OpenStack users in our stable releases and that remains very important to
us. One issue we have is that individual backports of bug fixes for all of
these packages doesn't scale well. Another issue is that we have clouds
that are running with outdated code that is missing available bug fixes.
With code that is running 5 or even up to 10 years in production, providing
these bug fixes to our users is important.

Would it be useful to the SRU team if we were to pre-test our stable point
releases in a PPA and post the results to accompany new stable release
requests?

Corey