MRE request for Bind9

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 7 14:02:20 UTC 2023

Lena Voytek kirjoitti 1.3.2023 klo 23.52:
> Hello again,
>
> I would like to request another Microrelease Exception; this time for
> the Bind9 package in Ubuntu Kinetic, Jammy, and Focal. I created a wiki
> page with the relevant information here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bind9Updates
>
> Having an MRE for bind9 would help a lot to clear out bugs that have
> been fixed upstream between 9.16.2-9.16.38 for Focal and up to 9.18.12
> in Jammy and Kinetic. Some of these bugs include:
>
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bind9/+bug/1258003
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bind9/+bug/1970252
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bind9/+bug/2006972
>
> It may also be worth noting that Debian has a similar method of dealing
> with bind9 through stable-backports. When there is a new release
> upstream it is added to both unstable and bullseye-backports. As of
> writing this the two are currently on 9.18.12 while bullseye is on
> 9.16.27.
>
> Thank you for your consideration. Please let me know if you need
> any additional information.
>
> Lena Voytek

Hi,

With my bind-dyndb-ldap maintainer hat on, have you considered the
rebuilds and backports that it needs in order to work and build with the
updated bind9? Each new upstream version bumps the soname, so b-d-l
needs at least a rebuild, or in the worst case, backports from upstream
in order to fix the build.

I've proposed a MR to merge bind-dyndb-ldap with src:bind9[1], but
haven't heard back yet. This would fix the rebuild hassle, and also show
early on that the build would fail because of modifying the "private" API.

The other option of course would be to follow Debian and drop
bind-dyndb-ldap from the release. It's still in sid, but not getting
back in bookworm.

https://salsa.debian.org/dns-team/bind9/-/merge_requests/21