Edubuntu Revival

eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 1 02:34:32 UTC 2023

Hello Release Team!

As many of you are aware, my wife and I have been working on reviving
the Edubuntu flavor, myself being the technical lead and my wife as the
flavor lead. She was inspired while we were attending Ubuntu Summmit in
Prague this past November while learning of all the things that open
source software can do, and, as an education professional, was
disappointed to hear of the demise of Edubuntu. When we got back, she
told me of her desire to revive it, and we got to work.

For the past month and a half, I have been working with the community
council, technical board, and archive admins to get components either
reestablished or uploaded for Amy's vision to modernize Edubuntu and
bring it into this decade. What we have accomplished that is relevant:

 - standing up new seeds, available at
https://code.launchpad.net/~edubuntu-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/edubuntu
 - built edubuntu-meta package from these seeds
 - made a clear definition of what the new flavor is, which is defined
in the metapackage names themselves.

What we need now is to work with the release team to make it possible
to build the new images in lunar.

Let me know what you need from me. Thanks!
Erich

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Ubuntu Studio Project Lead