NBS removals of old kernels from stable -security and -updates pockets

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 25 10:04:09 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 10:16:24AM +0100, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 at 10:06, Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > I am therefore intending that, for jammy and later releases, we start to
> > prune NBS kernel packages on an ongoing basis, not just at EOL time.

> For a while I have been pondering about facilitating this too.

> In the Launchpad API, we have a "move" parameter to the copyPackage()
> API  (Move - If true, delete the source publication after copying it
> to the destination.). I was thinking of potentially adding a "replace"
> parameter to the copyPackage() API (Replace - If true, delete previous
> destination publication after copying a new one). This would be very
> helpful for kernel publication in devel series too, as frequently a
> lot of NBS end up in -proposed from unmigrated (with move=True) ABIs.

> Would SRU/Archive teams find that helpful, and should I attempt to add
> this to Launchpad?

I think this would be of limited utility because it would have to
special-case the kernels (and only for particular series): normal NBS
handling is that we definitely do NOT want to remove the old packages on
copy, because we drive the list of reverse-dependencies on old library ABIs
to zero AFTER the packages land in the release pocket.  So I'm really fine
with us just having tooling to remove the binaries afterwards.

It may be useful to the kernel team themselves to have this as part of the
copyPackage() API, to not be dependent on AA manual intervention for removal
of NBS packages in the -proposed pocket.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/