glibc SRU policy

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 21 22:10:45 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 06:01:03PM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 03:35:24PM +0200, Simon Chopin wrote:
> > # Upstream CI

> > While there is some upstream CI, it's not well documented, especially
> > regarding release branches. After some digging, it seems the CI is (was)
> > only enabled on the master branch, in addition to some CI on individual
> > patches via Patchwork.

> Do all upstream bugfixes come with appropriate additions to the test
> suite?

I would have to point out that, even if upstream bugfixes all included test
suite additions, that alone is not protection against regressions.  It's not
uncommon for fixes on the stable branch to be CPU-specific, such as fixing
performance regressions on one particular chip with one particular set of
optional instructions.  As a result, having a test case isn't sufficient to
guard against regressions - you also have to run the test suite on a
sufficiently broad range of hardware, to make sure that fixing behavior on
one chip isn't regressing it on another.  *And*, since the stable branch
sometimes includes fixes for performance issues rather than functional
issues, this also means that regressions on other CPUs can in turn be
performance regressions rather than functional regressions, which makes it
even more difficult to check for in a test suite.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/