Seeking new Stable Release Update exceptions for Google cloud image agent packages - further amendments

Phil Roche phil.roche at canonical.com
Tue Apr 11 14:35:08 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Re-opening this topic seeking an amendment to the Stable Release Update
exceptions for Google cloud image agent packages.

The Google Guest agents are written in golang and have dependencies
vendored.

See https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/guest-agent/blob/main/go.mod

The amendment to the Stable Release Update exception is that the exception
will explicitly cover the updating of the pinned dependencies too.

The reason for seeking this amendment is that there was apprehension in
trying to SRU changes in these pinned dependencies and I thought seeking
the exception amendment now will avoid any concerns/debate come SRU time.

It is important to update these dependencies alongside agent updates to
avoid including dependencies with known vulnerabilities as is the case
currently with golang-golang-x-net - see
https://ubuntu.com/security/CVE-2022-41723

Please let me know if you need any further information to support this
request.

Thanks,

Phil

--