glibc plans for kinetic

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at
Thu Aug 11 23:17:30 UTC 2022

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 at 15:12, Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at>

> Hi Michael,
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 11:55:08AM +1200, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Glibc 2.36 was released last week. I'd hoped to have an archive test
> > rebuild done with a recent snapshot but with one thing and another this
> > didn't happen. So I'd like some thoughts about what to do wrt getting the
> > update in before feature freeze.
> > One option would be to start a test rebuild asap, fix the issues found
> and
> > then upload 2.36. Another option would be to upload 2.36 asap, then
> start a
> > test rebuild and fix the issues as they are found, and in parallel with
> > running all the autopkgtests.
> > I don't expect this to be a very disruptive update. Some header file
> > shuffling is known to cause some build failures, but it shouldn't be too
> > bad (famous last words!).
> > What do the release team think?
> The only reason at this point to hold off on uploading glibc 2.36 until
> after the test rebuild, is if we need the output of the test rebuild to
> decide whether we are going to ship with glibc 2.36 in kinetic.
> If we aren't going to consider staying with glibc 2.35 as a result of a
> high
> build failure rate,

Other distros have reported some but not enormous numbers of failures.

> then it is better to upload sooner rather than later and
> do the test rebuild in parallel as this maximizes the time developers have
> to deal with any regressions (i.e. uploads of packages that FTBFS with
> 2.36,
> that are done before the test results are in, give developers the
> information sooner rather than later that a fix is needed).

Fair enough. I have just uploaded the package now, let's see how all the
autopkgtests in the world go...

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the Ubuntu-release mailing list