Partially phased updates on release media

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Thu May 20 21:14:26 UTC 2021

On Fri, 21 May 2021, 02:28 Julian Andres Klode, <julian.klode at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 03:59:06PM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> > The release team was recently discussing the possibility of point
> > release media containing updates which are not fully phased and how this
> > creates a difference between upgraded systems and freshly installed
> > ones[1]. Looking at the packages which are not currently phasing[2] I've
> > discovered that the 16.04.7 installation iso contains
> > unity-control-center 15.04.0+16.04.20171130-0ubuntu1 and the 18.04.5 iso
> > contains nautilus 1:3.26.4-0~ubuntu18.04.5. To ensure that both types of
> > systems are the same I think we should fully phase these two packages.
> >
> > Additionally, a step should be added to the point release process to nag
> > the uploader of a package which has stopped phasing to investigate the
> > reasons for the stoppage well before (2 weeks?) the point release.  If
> > the package is still not fully phased in time for the point release then
> > the release team should make a decision about fully phasing it or
> > reverting to the previous version of the package.
>
> I just filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/1929082 against
> launchpad to keep the previous version of the update in updates while
> a new one is being phased.
>
> This would then allow image builders to set the
> never-include-phased-updates
> option in apt.conf, and then images will always build with whatever is
> fully phased, and we don't have to take as much special care (just need
> to disable phasing changes during image building time) for future LTS
> releases.

I also filed a bug in this area (on ubuntu-cdimage) recently because the
package pool on the 20.04.2 live server iso has phasing in it. We should do
something (TM) to make sure this is consistent with how the packages that
go into the livefs are selected - like filter out packages with phasing
during ship seed germination or something (imagine me waving my hands
furiously at this point)

Cheers,
mwh