Partially phased updates on release media

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Wed May 19 22:59:06 UTC 2021

The release team was recently discussing the possibility of point
release media containing updates which are not fully phased and how this
creates a difference between upgraded systems and freshly installed
ones[1]. Looking at the packages which are not currently phasing[2] I've
discovered that the 16.04.7 installation iso contains
unity-control-center 15.04.0+16.04.20171130-0ubuntu1 and the 18.04.5 iso
contains nautilus 1:3.26.4-0~ubuntu18.04.5. To ensure that both types of
systems are the same I think we should fully phase these two packages.

Additionally, a step should be added to the point release process to nag
the uploader of a package which has stopped phasing to investigate the
reasons for the stoppage well before (2 weeks?) the point release.  If
the package is still not fully phased in time for the point release then
the release team should make a decision about fully phasing it or
reverting to the previous version of the package.

Provided there are not any objections I'll update the point release
process and ask some AA to fully phase those two packages.

[1] Something I've heard Steve say should not happen.
[2] https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/phased-updates.html

Cheers,
--
Brian Murray