[SRU] OpenStack Stable Snapshots

Edward Hope-Morley edward.hope-morley at canonical.com
Mon Mar 29 11:04:40 UTC 2021

Than you Corey this sounds like a good path forward to me. As you allude
to we have seen a significant increase in the number of SRUs required
for some releases of Openstack, particularly those that correspond with
LTS releases of Ubuntu e.g. Queens and this is in part due to the
significant delta between the last upstream point release and current
stable branch HEAD for extended maintenance releases of Openstack. This
has itself led to challenges with some SRUs particularly where a fix
constitutes more than one backported patch which themselves potentially
have other dependencies. This is most acute for releases like Nova and
Neutron where the delta can be in the 100s. As you point out, providing
release snapshots is not risk-free but if we provide a sufficient level
of testing and focus resources on testing snapshots rather than
continuous SRUs for the same release I'm sure we will see a net gain
both in terms of reducing load on the SRU team as well getting fixes out
to more users faster. As a starting point I would really like to see us
start building snapshots e.g. every week or two and making them
available for testing. Once we have enough data to prove their stability
we can then consider their suitability for release. And again as you
point out, the inital snapshot will be the largest delta and therefore
require significant testing but subsequent releases will be small so
lower risk (we would apply the same level of testing though).

Thanks,

Ed