[proposed-migration] libpod 2.1.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu3 stuck in hirsute-proposed for 3 days.

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:29:11 UTC 2021

I understand that the issue below is caused by a change
in libpod_2.1.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu3 that drops the binary package
golang-github-containers-libpod-dev. I resorted to this rather
drastic action because of differences in how the ubuntu src:docker.io
package vendors the "docker/libnetwork" golang library. In Debian, the
docker.io package installs it in a directory that can be imported by
libpod, in Ubuntu, it installs it in a nonstandard path that requires
really ugly hackery in debian/rules to get the package built. That hackery
breaks autopkgtest. I've decided to workaround this by removing
the golang-github-containers-libpod-dev package, which is not currently
used by any other package. This change will make the autopkgtest golang
runner not trip off the ugly hackery in the configure target and evidently
now autopkgtests is passing.

Ideally, I'd love to see the docker.io package provide vendored libraries
just like in Debian. I've been in contact with Rick and Lucas (CC'ed) about
this last July, but we couldn't resolve this difference in opinion. As a
result, the packages remain diverged for now and require small, subtle
(read: hard to understand) and ugly deltas to the packages in Debian.

To get the package unstuck now, I guess some ftp-master or release team
member would need to remove the golang-github-containers-libpod-dev from
hirsute. I'm not sure who to contact about this, hence writing this email.

Thank you for your assistance!
-rt

--
regards,