LibreOffice SRUs

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 17 16:52:37 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:13:45PM +0300, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
> On 16.9.2020 2.22, Brian Murray wrote:
> > There have been a few "bugfix" releases of libreoffice accepted for
> > Focal despite libreoffice not having a microrelease exception. Given
> > that this has been accepted multiple times I think a de facto exception
> > has been granted. That being said we should "stop the line" with version
> > 6.4.6 for Focal until the microrelease exception has been documented and
> > agreed upon. I'd expect the SRU team members who thought the SRUs were
> > okay to be involved with libreoffice maintainers in documenting the
> > microrelease exception.
> >
> > --
> > Brian Murray
> >

> That would be me then. It's true that the test case wording wasn't
> perhaps too reassuring, but in my opinion the replies did answer the
> questions. Should've left that for Steve to judge, though.

I don't think that it necessarily needs to be the person with the doubt
(Steve in this case) that makes the decision. The SRU team is a team in
part so that we can hand-off issues from one team member to another and
so that we have multiple team members reviewing things. For example we
don't require the person accepting the package into -updates to be the
same person who accepted it into -proposed.

That being said I think it is appropriate to acknowledge the other SRU
team member's concerns and document why the action being taken was
taken. With the first libreoffice SRU it wasn't clear you'd seen the
other team member's concerns.

> Now that it's also a snap (which is at 7.x), I believe there won't be
> too many deb SRU's left, if any.

Do you know if there plans to switch stable releases to using the
libreoffice snap?

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray