Ubuntu Focal and OpenStack Ussuri Alignment

Corey Bryant corey.bryant at canonical.com
Mon Mar 2 15:38:53 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:22 AM Corey Bryant <corey.bryant at canonical.com>
wrote:

> Hello release team,
>
> The OpenStack Ussuri release is scheduled for one month after the release
> of Ubuntu Focal, which is a pretty big change from the past. While not
> ideal, it should still be manageable to deliver Ussuri with Focal if we can
> plan for it properly (more scheduling details below). The purpose of this
> email is to seek advice/permission from the release team for delivering
> release candidates and final releases of ussuri to focal via SRU.
>
> Historically, OpenStack releases have aligned closely with Ubuntu
> releases, with OpenStack generally releasing prior to Ubuntu. The alignment
> sometimes being so close that OpenStack packages and direct OpenStack
> dependencies have received an ongoing feature freeze exception to allow
> uploads beyond feature freeze without requiring the need to file FFe bugs.
>
> == More details on the release alignment of Focal/Ussuri ==
>
> The Focal release [1] is about a month before Ussuri release [2]. The good
> news is the final releases of library dependencies will be available about
> 13 days prior to the Focal release. That means we should only have to SRU
> release candidates (generally we only have to upload rc1) and final
> releases and perhaps a few dependency fixes after Focal is released. We'll
> want to get as updated as possible just before Focal release (snapshots
> from upstream master the week before) to minimize the delta.
>
> April 03, 2020 - ussuri final release for non-client libraries
> April 10, 2020 - ussuri final release for client libraries
> April 10, 2020 - **final release library uploads
> April 17, 2020 - **last round of snapshot uploads
> April 23, 2020 - focal release
> April 24, 2020 - ussuri rc1
> May 4, 2020 - **SRU rc1 release and any dependency fixes
> May 15, 2020 - ussuri release
> May 19, 2020 - **SRU final release and any dependency fixes
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
> [2] https://releases.openstack.org/ussuri/schedule.html
> ** OpenStack engineering uploads/SRUs
>
> Thanks,
> Corey

Hello Release Team,

This is just a friendly reminder of the standing OpenStack feature freeze
exception and the above scheduling alignment for OpenStack Ussuri and Focal.

The standing FFe includes OpenStack packages and their direct dependencies
managed under the OpenStack umbrella. Additionally, as discussed previously
in this thread, the OpenStack Ussuri release is scheduled for approximately
3 weeks after the release of Ubuntu Focal.

We've already received a release team +1 on this schedule (previously on
this thread) so this is just a friendly reminder that we plan to move
forward with this schedule.

Regards,
Corey Bryant